Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 26, 2010

Hola! How is everyone in the Lone Star State? It's crazy to think I've been here 2 weeks already; in some respects it feels like forever, in others like no time at all.

I've been hard at work learning to teach and learning Spanish. My Spanish is coming along well? Last Thursday my district decided to only speak Spanish everywhere; it freaked me out a little bit, because I didn't feel I knew enough to express myself, but its turned out OK. Unfortunately we don't speak it all the time, but it's a good to work towards. I have been praying to speak Spanish, and I've been enjoying it more, because of that, I think.

My teaching has greatly improved, as well. I've learned how to begin teaching, how to talk about the Apostasy, the importance of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. I've even memorized the First Vision in English and Spanish!

What else happened this week? What's fun is that I met two friends from EFY here! It's amazing that we recognized each other, since we haven't seen each other for 3 years or so.

Hey Sam! A super intense thing happened. I was out practicing contacts (telling random missionaries about the gospel in Spanish) when I "contacted" a certain Elder Stosich, who told me he lives in Idaho Falls. Amazingly, he is former President Gary Marshall's nephew! So crazy! I talked to him a bit about how i knew his uncle, our stay last year and everything. Wild, huh?

Whoa! I'm kind of tired. I've had lots of good meetings and lessons in class. One of my teachers, Bro. Toone, gave some amazing lessons and shared some great insights. He won't be here for about a week and a half, though, because he's getting married today!

Probably the pinnacle of the week so far was the Tuesday night devotional. We all waited outside the gym (where the meeting was to be held) for half an hour or more, but it was worth it: Elder Jeffrey Holland came to speak to us! How cool to hear an apostle in person! It was quite an eye-opener of a talk, very good. he was almost really forceful, but he made many good points and I wanted to try harder! I could write more about it later if you'd like.

Well everyone, I wish I had more to write about, but I'm feeling tired. I've had a great week at the MTC, had amazing experiences, and I'm looking forward to my next lesson or meeting. I'm even more excited to get out there in Mexico and teach people! I love you all a lot. Next week I'll try to write earlier so I'm not so tired. I love you, hope to hear from you all soon. I'll talk to you next week!

Love,
Oliver

1 comment: