Monday, January 24, 2011

January 11, 2011



Hello, Family! Today marks 5 months that I've been out on my mission, and also 3 months that I've been in National City/San Diego!! Pretty crazy, huh? Missionary life is still trucking along, and I'm doing pretty well. It sounds like another couple Mexican missionaries received their visas this week, so I guess they're starting to roll out! Still no word on mine though. I just need to stay patient, I guess (which can be kind of tough, but I can do it : D).
 
So what's been up? It's sunny and a little warmer today, though it's been chilly the past few nights. We've been on BIKE this past week, which is wild! I'll tell you more in my letter. Plans for today....not many right now; we'll see what we'll end up doing. I'm feeling a little hungry, but I've got a Chipotle salad in the fridge back home; score!
 
Whew! I'm not sure what else to mention. I know; I'll tell you about el Dia de los Reyes Magos! It's a Mexican tradition that a lot of members celebrate here in San Diego. It's held on January 6, which I guess is the traditional day when the 3 wise men came and visited the baby Jesus. Traditionally, Mexican kids don't receive gifts on Christmas, but on this day, which come from the 3 wise men : D. I think it's kind of cool, because you get to focus all of Christmas on the Savior and save all the Christmas shopping and craziness for a little later (when, fortunately, all of the prices have gone down ; D). I'd kind of like to try it when I come back from the mission! Apparently it's a big holiday in Mexico, with parades and parties and stuff on TV. The other cool part of el Dia de los Reyes Magos is the Rosca de Rey, which is almost exactly like a Mexican king cake! Have you all ever had king cake for Mardi Gras? It's just like that; a loop of cake (in this case, Mexican pan dulce studded with candied friut instead of frosted pastry) that has 2-3 plastic baby Jesuses hidden inside. For Mardi Gras king cake, if your piece has the baby Jesus in it, you get good luck, but for the Rosca de Rey, whoever gets Jesus has to make tamales for everyone on February 2 (which I assume is another special holiday)! Tough luck : D. Elder Jardine actually got the baby Jesus in his piece, except he doesn't know how to make tamales : D. Neat, huh?
 
I'd like to save the rest for my letter, so I'm going to sign off for now. I love you all very much, and I so love and appreciate all you do for me! Your support has been something I can always depend on, and I've needed that, so thank you. I hope you have a MARVELOUS week, and I'll talk to you soon!
 
Love,
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment